Most women abide by the wishes of their doctors and don't smoke during pregnancy. We asked 1,175 new/expecting moms if they smoked during pregnancy.
- 13% said they did.
- 87% said they did not.
Stretch Mark Stress
Are you stressing out about stretch marks? Don't. They're a natural part of pregnancy. When we asked 746 new/expecting americanbaby.com moms whether or not they did/do have stretch marks as a result of pregnancy:
- 74% said yes - they had/have stretch marks.
- 26% said no.
Most doctors advise you to gain somewhere between 15 and 35 pounds during pregnancy. We asked 371 americanbaby.com new/expecting moms how much weight they gained while pregnant and here's what they told us:
- 61% gained between 21 and 40 pounds.
- 13% only gained 10 to 20 pounds.
- 13% gained 41 to 50 pounds.
- 13% gained 51 pounds or more.
Not everyone is in optimum shape when they find out they're pregnant. When we asked 575 americanbaby.com visitors what they weighed right before they found out they were pregnant:
- 50% said they were of average weight.
- 40% described themselves as overweight or obese.
- 10% reported that they were underweight.