Friend or Foe?
Many first-time expecting moms say that their relationships with some friends changed as a result of the pregnancy. According to a poll of 722 americanbaby.com visitors:
- 48% said that some friends pulled away from them as a result of their pregnancy.
- 44% said their relationships with friends remained unchanged.
- 7% were not sure.
Sex can be as good - or better than ever - after pregnancy. Just ask americanbaby.com's new/expecting parents. When we asked 310 of them how pregnancy had affected their sex lives:
- 44% said that their sex lives were as good or better than before they got pregnant.
- 55% said that pregnancy had put a damper on their sex lives.
Pregnancy can have some positive effects on a woman's sex life. When we asked 328 americanbaby.com visitors how pregnancy affected their orgasms:
- 73% said there was either no change or orgasm was more satisfying.
- 27% said their orgasms were less satisfying.
It seems most expecting moms plan to change their work lives once baby arrives. We asked 263 americanbaby.com visitors whether or not they would/did ask for flextime at work after giving birth.
- 75% said yes.
- 25% said no.
Maybe women can't have it all. When americanbaby.com queried 589 new/expecting parents about whether or not they thought maternity leave would/did jeopardize their career:
- 44% said they believed their careers would be negatively affected to some degree.
- 40% said their careers would not be affected.
- 17% said they did not consider themselves to be "on a career path."
Pregnancy comes with its own special set of beauty challenges. We asked 588 americanbaby.com visitors to tell us what beauty issue gave them the most problems during pregnancy:
- 43% cited skin.
- 20% said teeth or some other unspecified beauty challenge.
- 15% chose hair.
- 2% said nails.
Not all women rush out and purchase hundreds of dollars worth of maternity clothes. According to an online poll of 323 americanbaby.com visitors:
- 61% said they or their partners purchased the bulk of their maternity clothes.
- 33% said they either received maternity clothes as gifts or hand-me-downs.
- 4% said they got clothing through local or online clothing exchanges.
Women may have self-image issues when they're not pregnant, but the majority of women express satisfaction with how they look during pregnancy. When we queried 720 americanbaby.com new/expecting moms and asked them to describe how they felt about their pregnant bodies:
- 56% were very pleased with how they looked.
- 31% said they felt slightly self-conscious/awkward.
- 12% said they didn't feel at home in their bodies anymore.